Saturday, October 24, 2009

50 YEARS ON PREMARIN AND NOT DEAD YET

The widespread rumor that Premarin causes cancer has been going around since at least the 1950s. It’s out there like a smoldering campfire and every once in awhile somebody blows on it, and it flares up again. I know women right now living with hot flashes and other indications that they might benefit from a little Premarin, but their doctors won’t prescribe it. Too bad.

It was prescribed for me when I was only thirty years old after a ruptured tubal pregnancy had left me with only one ovary. That ovary went crazy and was producing a menstrual period every two weeks. With the recent surgery and three little kids to keep up with, Premarin, .0625 mg daily, was prescribed to bring my periods back into 28 day cycles.

I’ve never stopped taking it, 25 days a month, for 50 years now.

We will never know where I would have been without Premarin, of course. But my two sisters, one older and one younger, cannot understand how I could be as healthy as I am and have been for so long. They both have debilitating health conditions. I doubt that it’s because I’m the only milk drinker among us.

I am still tall and straight, have no osteoporosis, better than expected bone density, firm breasts, and all of my own teeth except for two. So I have no regrets for having been on Premarin for fifty years.  I can’t imagine not being able to work. It’s what I do.

With the information available to us today, we can check things out for ourselves, can’t we? We don’t have to take somebody else’s word for anything or buy into even what our doctor believes. There’s a lot of free comfort to be found with the Google search button and there are other doctors out there. Listen to your body; go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment